Sunday 27 June 2010

Varnishing is fun! Really...

We're on the hard in Limhamn, Ingeborg looks like a 16th century leprosy colony . Been here for a week now. I'm a time optimist, I thought we would have had her anti fouled and back in the water in three or four days. There's still no anti fouling on... The new rig is ordered and will be here tomorrow. The welder who's going to repair the fitting for the dolphin striker and move the bow roller will be done on thursday, so I guess she'll be back in the water thursday afternoon. The new thru hulls are fitted and so's the new log transducer.
We're leaving one thru hull clean and unpainted to use as a counter poise for the SSB. I've been working for a couple of days on repairing the two spreaders for the main mast. One was rotten at the base and the other one had a previous repair that wasn't up to standard. I wanted to make two completely new spreaders but when I got home with the new wood and had a closer look at it I saw that most of it wasn't good enough. At least we managed to extract enough wood to make two repairs. The scarfs are finnished and tomorrow I'll buy some epoxy that hasn't gone past it's "best before" date and glue them together. The spreaders for the mizzen are getting a new coat too. They won't be completely varnished by the time we step the masts again so my little rigg monkey will have to take another trip up the masts.

Lotta spent the past three days sanding and varnishing wood (still a lot left) and changing the tesxt on the home-board from "Berlin" to "Sweden". She put the first coat of varnish on today and it looks really, really good.



My little artist at work










We're about a week behind "schedule". Not that it matters though. I have quit my job now so with a little luck, or the absence of bad luck, a lot of things will be done. The last spare parts for the engine are on order and will be here on the 7th so I guess we'll leave on the 7th or 8th if the weather permits. Still to much to be done to really feel the excitement or have time to think about it.

/Hampus

No comments:

Post a Comment